Sunday, September 17, 2006

Did something amazing today

(Apart from stealing that slogan)

I gave blood.

Never done it before, so it was a rather interesting experience to say the least.

Ooo, and free biscuits at the end which is always a bonus in my book.

After answering all the deep & probing questions I apparently have plenty of iron in my blood and it was a nice deep oxygenated colour. I am actually quite looking forward to finding out my blood group in the following week once they done all of their tests & things.

It's just a strange sight when they hold up a bag full of warm crimson-coloured liquid and you realise that just came out of you.

Annoyingly I can't drink for the rest of the day; frustrating as I'm just about to head down the pub to watch Man U v Arsenal (come on Arsenal!!). Nor can I have a glass of wine whilst watching Spooks tonight.

But seriously now, it's a mind-blowing thought to think that blood of mine will eventually be flowing through someone else's veins. It's a simple procedure, but it makes such a difference.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic Ing-well done! :-) Yeah I can imagine that it must be quite an awesome and humbling thought that blood that came out of you will be used to save someone's life.

I would do it myself if it weren't for the fact I'm under the weight limit :(

Jen

Northerner said...

Weight limit?? There were no weight questions that I answered. Might be worth checking on www.blood.co.uk if you're still interested?

Anonymous said...

I'm due to go and give blood again very soon. At the moment I'm not sure I can having recently taken a course of anti-biotics and had a cold.

When I'm able to i'll go back. Its nice to feel in some tiny way that you're helping people.

Anonymous said...

To think it's a minor inconvenience for us, and such a gift for someone else!

Anonymous said...

Ah that's great, I'd always been told you had to be over a certain weight? But thinking about it, I agree, don't see what bearing that would have on ability to give blood.
Will go and check that out now!! :-)

jef said...

It does make a difference and I'm glad you are making one:-)