Thursday, November 16, 2006

You can't fight it alone

Had a talk today with one of my mentors today.

One of those frequent "How are you getting on?" reviews, in which one usually goes through the motions and merely suggests

"Oh, fine..."

(read: Fucked-up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional... however, they never pick up on that)

So I thought I may as well use the opportunity to actually get something out of the discussion for a change. I admitted that I have been finding recent weeks, the law input especially, very hard indeed.

We talked through reasons why I may be struggling somewhat, and solutions.

What did stick in my mind for the rest of the day however, is the very true observation of how I sometimes handle problems. I'm not always the first to ask for help; not through arrogance, but that I have a need to prove to myself that I can do it. It probably links into my self-belief, or lack thereof, no doubt.

"You can't always fight it alone" remarked my mentor.

True. Very true.

Anyway, on a lighter note, this is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Click. Click now.

8 comments:

Roses said...

I can understand that. I'd be surprised if you or I were the only people who waited too before asking for help...

I loved the Weebles Stuff...more please.

*hugs*

Inspector Monkfish said...

"Ooh me mansacks!" heh heh heh :)

Asking for help can be awkward sometimes, but it really is essential. Sometimes, it's not even help, just getting someone else's input helps.

Was one of the problems we had with our trainee a few months back. He thought he knew best and he refused to ask for help. He most definitely did not know best, and he refused to listen to what we told him. Rather than ask a question or make an effort to understand something, he thought "I can do better!" and promptly did something really stupid.

Eugh :) Sorry, turned into a slight rant there ;) Anyway, asking for help=good :)

Sure, independence also essential, but you do indeed need that tricky balance :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think Ing needes tricky balance on top of everything else.
:~)

(it's too early, i'm going back to bed)

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to explain to me why the Weebles are funny?! I mean, which part was actually funny? Was it the unexpected walrus? The fact that the car driver was looking the other way? The funny hats?

If i may make so bold, all four of us 'groupies' seem to have very similar threads running through our personalities in the 'asking for help' area.

Northerner said...

Well Weebl & Bob are like Marmite - either you love it or hate it. Personally I love them for the mumbling, the obsession with pie and surreal humour. In this case specifically the cover of Timberlake's 'Sexy Back' with pie-obsessed lyrics.

But aye, t'is a coincidence that we are share the same traits. We'll be getting LOST-esque flashbacks next, finding out that we've all met before in some random ways...

Roses said...

I loathe Marmite. Yuckies, yuckies, yuckies. I like the Weebles in small doses...but I much prefer Magical Trevor.

Actually, I'd like my life to move along a bit faster than Lost. I got really fed-up of the constant flashbacks and gave up after Season 1.

It's nice hanging out with people who 'get' you. As groupies, I think we rock!

Anonymous said...

So know what you mean Ing - I have some kind of stubborn, competitive, independent streak that when riled sometimes overrules rational thought(and occasionally my capacbility)- it's hard to admit I need help so well done on doing it....

loved the weebles, hate marmite...bleuuugh

Anonymous said...

I think often, if you try to fight something on your own, you're not only fighting the other thing but yourself as well.

At least thats how it is for me..