Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cold Water Music

My mood had already plummeted since Friday. I'd been due to go out on the evening with some work-mates but cancelled on them. We had a 'halfway' test earlier on that day and the result I got back was rather disappointing. I passed, but it felt like I scraped. I thought I was coping, I thought I was getting by OK, but clearly that was a big wake-up call.

This ain't easy, it never was going to be, and it isn't going to get any easier, anytime soon.

I don't know what to put it to, maybe it's my learning style, maybe I just clammed-up in the test. Maybe it's the fact that I'm not sleeping well, maybe I just need more good old-fashioned hard work, or more often than now, maybe it's my lack of self-belief.

So I text a friend to say that I would only leaden the vibes if I headed out with them, and that was that. Since I had no particular place to go, or anyone to see over the weekend, i just closed the door and let the weekend unfold at its own pace.

Spent most of this weekend...

Reading through Saturday's Guardian

Downloading new episodes of Lost and Battlestar Galactica through the wonder of YouTube

Weeding in the garden

Food shopping

Expertly finding new ways to avoid study before realising that that may be the key to my ultimate failure

Nursing bottles of wine

Reloading the washing machine a few times

Reading really interesting news articles online

Trawling Google/YouTube for aforementioned cheesy 80's track

Watching V for Vendetta

Playing any relaxed, funky loungy music to hand

Starting reading The Time Traveller's Wife

Going through some old clothes to donate to a charity shop in town

Sitting still, and listening to the quiet whisper of the gas fire as the day darkens into another cold night

Things are OK, if-.

Nah, forget it.

Been there before.

Anyway, again my quiet self-pity is put into sharp focus with breaking news from Iraq. Four British Servicemen are reported killed in Basra.

And, oh god, it's Remembrance Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, when you've passed your exams...they aren't going to count when you're doing your day to day cop-stuff. What will count is how you deal with the Great British Public, how you negotiate the minefield that is paperwork and dealing with them from on high.

You didn't fail. I sounds to me, like you just need a hug.

*hugs*

Northerner said...

Thanks guys, just one of those weeks I guess... Hugs always appreciated though. :)

Inspector Monkfish said...

Awhh, c'mere 'ya big lug... ;)

Northerner said...

*muffled* group hug!

seriouesly though, thanks for the kinda comments y'all. :)