Thursday, August 31, 2006

Environmental Rant

How come when they show pictures of power stations on the news do they focus on these?



They're blooding cooling towers for crying out loud, belching out...

Steam!

That tall stack in the background; now there's your C02.

If you didn't know that - consider yourself educated and join me in throwing cushions the TV next time they make that mistake on the evening news.

As an ex-environmental studies student, I see the protestors' point, but the medias' lack of attention to detail really annoys me.

And these protestors - anyone heard of long-term strategies?

They want to...

"Switch Drax power station off now!"

Right. It powers 7 million homes, do you mind hanging on a few years... Ummm decades? This power generation-thing isn't exactly like a light switch.

Oh, how'd you get here by the way?

Drove...

Rrrright.

2 comments:

Inspector Monkfish said...

Actually, I didn't know that.

I suppose if I'd have THOUGHT about it I might have done - I was aware they were cooling towers, but hadn't thought about much beyond that.
(If my memory serves me correctly... Did you know that most of The Abyss was filmed in a dis-used cooling tower?)

But they do look much more impressive and imposing than the other one, which is of course all that matters - sod the actual facts and details ;)

Northerner said...

Yeah - to the media it's all about what looks the most impressive on film, which by virtue of their size, they do. As part of my uni course, we visited a power station and were able to stand inside one of the towers that was powered down for the day. It's like a cathedral inside one of those, they're HUGE!

Didn't know that about THE ABYSS no, especially interesting considering it's one of my favourite movies of all time!

:)