Friday, July 21, 2006

Sinking in

Drove to Force HQ earlier today to get kitted out at the stores. The appointment took the best part of a full hour. Issued with multiples of shirts, trousers, jackets etc. But then a whole load of other stuff including holsters, utility belts and even handcuffs! Wow, no wonder they said bring a suitcase.

I think the real moment when it hit me was why I tried on some body armour for the first time (you don't actually get it straight away, you get your own personalised set manufactured for you). You know how you think all Police Officers are really broad-chested and well-built? Not necessarily the case. I'm 6'3" but when I have the full uniform and body armour on it bulks me up immensely.

In a sentence - excited but apprehensive.

And here's your exclusive first look!

(Click to enlarge)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have handcuffs??!



my bad...lol

Northerner said...

Absolutely. Have already cuffed and released several friends and family members. For practice y'see.

Anyone else who stops by is also welcome! :)

jef said...

Not bad! You actually look like someone who could tackle a goliath!

Anonymous said...

I have always admired people who opt for a career in any public service area.

Challenging but rewarding i would imagine.

Your uniform looks the part!

Northerner said...

Thanks guys!

Yeah from serving officers I've certainly heard the same - it's a great career but quite tough at times. I'm under no illusion as to how hard the transition will be.

People have asked, why the Police?

I decided I wanted a stable, well-paid and challenging career where no two days were necessarily the same. I wanted to affect real change in people's lives.

And, boy, I really needed a change.

I should be careful what I wish for, eh?

Anonymous said...

I am intrested

What sort of change?

Northerner said...

A change from where I was... Drifting, in a mildly enjoyable job with few prospects, a little aimless and wanting so much more.

...To something that's going to challenge, stretch my capabilities and really open my eyes.