Sunday, January 14, 2007

Breathe

Surprised. But in a good way.

Daunted. Nonetheless.

But certainly still enjoying it.

The impression I'd got before we started the tutorship, from other tutors and students, was that was that the first few weeks-or-so I'd ease in to it all. A slow pace. Cherry-picking jobs; my tutor would take the lead, with me meerly observing, and hopefully I'd be growing in confidence.

We'll we're certainly not in Kansas anymore.

Somehow, and my god he must be perceptive, but he's making sure I swim just hard enough, in just the right depth of water, so that I don't drown. He's getting me to take on various tasks (under supervision), well before I expected to be doing them, whilst taking the lead still on the more urgent & critical stuff.

I remarked to a fellow trainee only today

"Wow, I didn't realise we'd be spinning this many plates, this early."

And they couldn't agree more.

Today I...
  • Assisted in prisoner transportation
  • Undertook a lengthy witness interview
  • Attended a report of youths causing a nuisance
  • Rode shotgun - blue-lighting through a busy town-centre
  • Read a prisoner his charges, through an interpreter
  • Completed oodles of paperwork
Yesterday I...
  • Made my first arrest
  • Searched a number of individuals and a vehicle on suspicion of possessing drugs
  • Rode shotgun a number of times on a high-speed blue-light run through a busy town centre
  • Completed oodles of paperwork

And this is only shift #4.

Shift-work itself is already taking it's toll however. It's doubtless the step-up, before I get used to it, but 07:00 through 16:00 with frankly no real breaks to speak of (only some periods being slower than others), doesn’t half tire you out mentally and physically. Some 15:00 through 00:00's later in the week, and that lovely brain-melter; 22:00 through 00:00.

Body-clock remains MIA.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hon, many hugs. Try not to lose sight of that thought that it is still early days. You will settle into the mad routine.

In a couple of months time you'll be bouncing around with loads of energy.

Anonymous said...

2nd try

Sexy. Defintely SEXY

You know who

Anonymous said...

Hi Ing!

It's Jen-don't know if you remember me?

Just wanted to let you know, I've finally dared to come back to blogging!

I can now be found at:

http://www.teaandtoasty.wordpress.com

Congrats on your first arrest-you must be thrilled!

Jen

Inspector Monkfish said...

lol! :)

I can't believe I missed this on my first read of this post...

"22:00 through 00:00". Gee, that one sure does sound like a brain-melter... ;)

Ok ok, so your brain's already melting and you made a teeny error, but it was enough to amuse me :)

I'll get me coat. ;)

It sounds like it's difficult, but that you're getting through it all pretty well, and, importantly, having fun :)

Anonymous said...

Monkfish why do you need to get your coat? Have you pulled? Is there something I should know?