Friday, December 15, 2006

Rolling news, rolling murder

Apologies if this little ramble may come across as insensitive right now.

I'm an ardent news junkie. I love my news me. I generally have to catch a bulletin at least once a day because I'm genuinely fascinated by the myriad of things that occur across our planet each day. But of late, I've occasionally been close to putting my foot through the television at times.

I mean what is it with the media right now? Give them some serial murders and they think it's Christmas.

Oh, okay it is Christmas... But they're reporting with about as much sensitivity and restraint right now as a kid on Christmas morning, don't you think? Even the usually sober BBC is trying to out-report and out 'shock' Sky News more than normal.

Flicked on the 24-news upon returning from a long day at work. Kept it on in the background whilst fixing tea...

Anchor hands over to a positively excited looking reporter outside Suffolk Police HQ who has nothing new to tell us supposedly slavering viewers, but they definitely

"Have the feeling that the pace of events here have stepped up a gear..."

They don't know how, or why, but they just know that. From sources unknown.

Cut to irresponsible ex-detective who helpfully explains CID for Dummies to any would-be murderers watching.

Cut back to reporter at HQ, looking for all intents and purposes like a schoolchild bursting to tell the teacher. Ooo! Ooo! We've had...

Reports of a missing girl in the area... We don't know who she is, where she's gone missing... But we know that's how the other girls ended up...

'BREAKING NEWS: Missing girl' scrolls across the bottom of the screen within seconds.

Back to the studio for a news round up of other events in the world, some equally horrible.

Back once again to Suffolk.

Anything new?

Nope. But soon. We're sure of that.

Obsessive?

Well, stay with us for all the latest.

Only a few minutes later, it's back to a 'related' story - an interview with the parents of Rachel Whitear, a girl who died consumed by her Heroin addiction. Her parents allowed the use of the now imfamous image of her dead, curled-up black/blue body, in a hard-hitting anti-drugs campaign. Reporter decides to throw in the spectacularly tactful question:

"Did she become involved in prostitution?"

Reply - an utterly firm (and barely disguising shock); No!

...And then cut to a news-round up, complete with aerial shots of Ipswich and repeated use of the word Fear.

Then?

I switched off.

(Addendum: Said missing girl was thankfully found safe according to the later news)

3 comments:

Roses said...

I want to add something witty and erudite, but my brain has just come up blank.

All I can say (very helpfully): yeah, I agree with everything you've said.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you on all the points...I got angry earlier in the week when the news people were in all seriousness discussing if the suffolk policeman leading the invetigation was up to the job because because his hand was shaking as he asked for a glass of water before he gave a press conference!

I've since had to stop watching the news because it makes me shout things at the tv

Northerner said...

~Thank god~ I'm not the only person thinking on that wavelength then....

*phew*