Monday, December 24, 2007

Silent night?

Everyone else is rushing around. Relatives are expecting them. They've got to get that final gift. There's not enough food.

I'm sat here, remarkably still, or so it seems.

The only place I have to be is at work tonight.

I'll come back from work tomorrow and crawl into bed, just as festivities are reaching their peak on Christmas morning.

I think I'll wake up later that afternoon, get some food and settle down to watch the Dr Who Christmas Special before getting ready for work.

Just me.

Because Christmas night I'm out again.

If not having some sort of celebration and silliness within the station itself, out in a patrol car in the freezing fog, with the heating on full blast.

There's no point me driving up for a few snatched hours with the family on Christmas Day; I'd just be tired out and would have to leave again as soon as I'd arrived. Celebrations for me are going to be postponed until Boxing Day. Rumour is that some of us may be able to sneak off early tonight or tomorrow night depending on who wants what. Here's hoping.

I write this not to get the sympathy vote, just to point out that some of us will be doing this Christmas very differently.

I'm sorry that this blog isn't as 'exciting' as it once was', but I've been gagged.

I would talk more of...

Attending crown court
Sorting out multi-vehicle pile-ups
Searching for missing persons
Guiding-in search and rescue helicopters
Pulling 16-hour shifts
Smashing windows
Running after people on foot
Labouring to get my learning portfolio up to date


...But I really, really can't. That's the tip, and I'm living the iceberg.

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and all the best for 2008.

Especially those other Emergency Service workers who'll help pick up the pieces over the next few days.

2 comments:

Roses said...

You might be on your own today, but you are not alone. Our thoughts and love are with you.

Be safe honey.

SandSilverine said...

Sorry to hear that but I hope you have a better new years