Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Enjoying it whilst it lasts

Remember me?

I used to blog here didn't I?

Some time ago I got major fecked off and disillusioned with work. I got majorly tired... then, oh dear, I discovered Facebook.

Lack of motivation multiplied by an surprisingly addictive 'social networking' site resulted in my neglecting this little part of the internet that I created.

Sorry.

But I'm back. In a number of ways.

Though I'm not reborn, relaunching or reinventing... A notable birthday and a trip away to somewhere familiar yet still completely undiscovered... Has found me returning home, to life and to work, with the motivation and will to see things through that I think I was sorely lacking a few weeks back.

Still with me?

Good.

Work-wise (the cause of so much joy and ills) - it probably helps as well that I've not gone straight back onto response driving. I'm spending two weeks with the community beat team learning about a very different type of policing. After suffering endless jokes about the number of cups of tea consumed (from fellow response officers)... I've genuinely enjoyed doing frankly old-school things like (get this) walking, yes walking the beat. Meeting members of the public in a situation where there's not an urgent problem to be solved, and I can actually take time to talk and listen to them? That's a whole new situation to me.

But then the radio goes. There's a job going off somewhere and something in me is tugging to grab some response car keys and go whizzing out to it like the headless frazzled chicken that I was before. I ignore the radio for the most, I'm not response... I'm with the Community Team... But the instinct is irrepressible.

However I'm taking time to enjoy the calm.

While it lasts.

3 comments:

Inspector Monkfish said...

Eye of the storm... ;)

[grin] Sorry, only teasing ;)

Now, for goodness sake, would you PLEASE do something about this ruddy living statue...

Inspector Monkfish said...

For some reason, this thought suddenly occurred to me after I went to bed last night.

What do people, the public, tend to call you? What would you prefer them to call you?

"Officer" ?

"Ing" ?

"Officer Ing" ?

"Officer Lastname" ?

"Oi! You! Yes, you with the handcuffs!" ?

"Sir" ?

"PC Lastname" ?

Just wondered for some reason :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back - we've missed you!

I do a lot of work with the safer neighbourhoods teams and the community police teams and I think the community aspect of policing is really important.

It makes what you are doing real as you get to meet the people and get an understanding of the communities in which you are working and, it makes communities appreciate that the police are real people. I know that sounds daft but it's a major problem in inner London and the source of a lot of problems with communities v establishment.

Enjoy it!