Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Target Culture

Shit falls downwards.

Which is why, as a junior responce officer I could not help but agree with the following articles...

Firstly the thoughts of the Police Federation - the closest coppers have to a 'union'.

Secondly the thoughts of an experienced beat bobby.

At the end of each shift my colleagues & I fill out what we affectionately call a 'bean counter'. Basically a 'ticks in boxes' grid of what incidents, arrests, tickets etc we've had in the course of each shift and fax it off to the relevant department.

Ah, the joy of paperwork.

Whilst I can kinda' see the point of measuring officers, the fact that some incidents we go to can tie us up all day and get us no 'ticks' at all is rather frustrating. We can spend entire shifts serving the public good in some way shape or form - but oh no... You can't measure that can you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be thankful you don't work in education/training...our civil servant window lickers came up with:

If we can't measure achievement of qualifications (for drop outs, dossers and those who don't want to continue training for whatever reason), then let's measure the "distance travelled" during their time with you.

Totally pointless, utterly subjective, of no statistical significance and that's coming from a professional bean counter...I share your pain :)

Inspector Monkfish said...

Really, Ing?

You have to FAX it!? :)

I hate doing timesheets. I rarely do them on the day-by-day basis that I ought, and usually end up doing the whole week (or two, or three, or sometimes... ;) ) in one go. I rarely have any idea what I've actually done, and writing it all down rarely seems to fill a whole day ;)
"Well... I've only really been doing thing X today, but I didn't spend 7.5 hours on it..."

Roses said...

I personally hate performance indicators. I spent most of my Economic Development career fighting them. Not because I don't believe in quality control, but simply because when you do a job where 'service' is the central ethos, a pi of + or - 2 is useless.

What is important is whether the last person who asked you for help, got it and if they didn't they know why not, and what you're going to do about it. That attitude seemed to annoy my managers for some reason. Can't think why.