Tuesday, May 08, 2007

RTC's & Overtime

I just counted up my overtime hours and last week I addition to my normal working shifts I've pulled a 60-70hr week. No wonder I'm feeling a little burnt out of late! Feels like I'm living at work at the moment... I can't complain though, ever since I joined this aspect of the job has been flagged up.

Last night's sample incident:

2-vehicle RTC, one car comes tearing into a roundabout taking this poor older driver completely by surprise. Older driver is alright & uninjured but his car is a write-off. Ditto the idiots' vehicle and what's more they start making off from the scene. Myself, a traffic unit and dog unit attend. I go to the scene, speak to witnesses and they point out the idiots disappearing into a field in the distance. I direct the traffic/dog units to their location and unsurprisingly when caught up with and faced with a snarling dog they soon give themselves up. Driver is ascertained and breath-tests determine he's completely pissed. 2/3hrs work at scene/station resulting from complete recklessness, however two idiots detained.

Nice.

3 comments:

Inspector Monkfish said...

I remember when I was learning to drive that between us, my driving instructor and I came to the conclusion that some people were actually employed by the DSA to see how other people responded in those situations.

Astonishingly long payroll they must have ;)

Astonishing number of idiots around, at any rate...

Inspector Monkfish said...

Hey are you on foot or in car most of the time?

Is it just one officer per car on average?

I am hugely thankful and appreciative of your idiot removal efforts btw :)

Northerner said...

Heh glad to be of service!

Mostly as what's known as a 'response officer' I'm in a car going from job to job.

PSCO's & community beat officers (their bosses) are most likely to be seen on two feet!