Friday, April 14, 2006

Reclaiming the spirit

The inevitability is that whenever I return from travel, of any kind, it gets me down. Really down. Call it post-travel blues, if you will.

However much you try and explain it, those who aren’t natural travellers just don’t get it.

Whenever I loose my spirit of travel and adventure, for however short a time, it’s immediately noticeable. My horizons recede from the infinite to the all-too-bleak and close. It’s easy enough to be told to take a reality check, to snap out of it and just get on with life, but this is a part of myself I can never surrender. For if I do, I fear the battle within me, on so many levels, will truly be lost.

I’ve been told I’m at my best when I just let go and act on instinct, I really must remember that.
This afternoon I did something very much out of character. I find it virtually impossible to read two books at once (and whinge at those who do), but since my current book Black Swan Green (David Mitchell’s latest) is underwhelming me somewhat, I sat out in the sun and slight breeze with a copy of Jonathan Livingston Seagull (by Richard Bach). Someone gave me a copy a while ago and I never really got around to reading it. Now I’m usually the first to raise an eyebrow at ‘inspirational fables’, after all I ploughed through The Alchemist a few years back only to get the message:

“Omens can be good… And bad.”

Really? Y’say?!

However ‘Seagull resonated much deeper within me. Perhaps it was the metaphor of flight, the contemplation of loneliness and singular instinct; maybe it was the stillness and warmth reading it outside on a bank holiday afternoon. Whatever it was, those few pages have helped rekindle the embers within me.

I’m going outside for a walk in the sun now.

Don't stop me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have ya ever seen the film 'Hook'? there is that bit in it where Hook says "Don't stop me Smee...don't stop me" and like Smee isn't paying attention right? and so like he carries on cus he reallt wants to be stopped so he is like "Don't stop me....SMEE!...don't stop me...SMEE...STOP ME SMEE!" hahahaha

Anonymous said...

ing please can i have the picture of the cakes? i really like it and wanna stick it on my blog...pleeeez...pretty pleeeez with cherries on?

Northerner said...

Haven't seen Hook in ages, but I do know the scene you mean. I that respect I was happy to carry on walking though. :)

About the cakes picture, under normal circumstances if it was any other time/place I would give you a copy no worries. But those few days were a bit emotionally charged for my friend and I, so I hope you understand if I decline. Sounds daft I know, but there's quite a few memories surrounding that weekend.

Hope you understand, thanks.

Anonymous said...

nah it don't sound daft, just intriguing. but i will keep my nose on my face and not in ya business guy...good pic tho, makes me wanna go there!