Friday, May 09, 2008

Out of breath

Every single time I come home from work, I do so with the best intention to be productive in the evening, following morning or whatever constitutes the gap between my next shifts.

My well-intentioned plans keep falling by the wayside on a daily basis.

Today I worked from 07:00 through 18:00. I set off for home thinking

“Yeah, I’ll do some learning portfolio work tonight.”

Returning home with 40-min each way commute added onto the already 11hr shift, and not discounting the 30-or-so mins that I voluntarily stayed behind in order to get some of my workload all-square…

Arrive home, cook a meal and then next thing I know it’s slipping past 21:00 and I find myself flopping down in front of a monitor over here, or a television over there with a drink.

And then I really should get some sleep.

Few hours of rapid-eye-movement later and then I simply turn around and head in the other direction.

Or so it feels.

One of the reasons I chose policing, and one of the reasons I do adore this more crazy of jobs, is the fact that no two days are the same. There’s always somewhere, someone, or something new to tackle. If it wasn’t for that fact that I really would be going mad of late.

I mean, how do office workers cope?

I have a spectacular lack of drive out of work; I’m just simply exhausted.

Apologies readers, bear with me...

3 comments:

Beth said...

how do office works cope?

We drink. Or quietly imagine the violent, bloody demise of our more irritating colleagues.

Anonymous said...

can you rent closer to work and cut down the 40 minute bumper to bumper? either that or use your flashy thing to get home from work. Got to be some perks........... (Ting Tings and Madonna were so tight!!!!)

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the 'my life is a hamster wheel' moment too.

When it gets like that, I force myself to leave on time, step away and go home, Then I treat myself to nice food and try to make some time for me out of an evening to do something other than lying about or watching tv or on the pc - a walk, sport or pamper me session tends to work. Failing that, what Beth said - copious amount of beer and plotting the demise of fellow commuters on the train on the way home...