Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Location, location, location

One month on from the move and, without tempting fate here, I can resoundingly say it's been a move for the better.

I would have blogged several weeks ago if it hadn't have been for the bickering between BT and Virgin Media which delayed my Internet connection for almost a month.

One annoying thing about moving is that all the utility providers generally keep referring you to their website for more information. Not very helpful when you don't have a connection. Asking to speak to a human being seems like a very big ask to them at times.

But anyway, I digress.

The new digs!

Firstly, although the rent is considerable jump from what I was paying for my last place... What new levels of comfort I can now experience! Heating that warms the place up within mere minutes; double-glazing and insulation that actually encourages the heat to hang around for a while. Good-god, I have a a garage... A hallway now and everything. Eat your heart out Donald Trump...

Seriously though, the new flat is most definitely worth the expense.

It's incredibly modern and trendy for a northern type like me, you see. Spotlights, extractor fans, skylights, blinds, cctv door cameras... Lots of shiny buttons and things. There's a sitcom in here waiting to be filmed.

Once you see the pictures I expect to get comments along the line of "bachelor pad" don't you worry.

But furnishings aside I think I'm benefiting most from the location - a mere 12 miles from work versus some 25 I had to drive before. I'm saving petrol, mileage but even more critically... Time. An extra 20 minutes may not sound like much, but believe you me, at the end of a 12-hour day it can feel like an eternity.

With the location also come the people. having lived in a cul-de-sac before I got to know my neighbours really well, whereas here residents here are always moving past or through. Those I've met seem pleasant enough however.

I actually have friends and colleagues living in the same neighbourhood now too. Hell, at this rate I'm in real danger of developing a social life again.

All-in-all then...

So far, so good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're settled in and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, it sounds lovely!

Anonymous said...

An excellent move up in the whole bachelor state of living. Well done.

california C