Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thirty-one years later

So yesterday I celebrated my thirty-first birthday. Another year older, another year wiser, they say. However, I cannot say I’ve felt particularly different at all for the last five or six birthdays now. My mind is firmly entrenched in my twenties and refuses to move.

I celebrated it down in Norwich with girlfriend & her lad; a nice yummy meal out at Wagamma’s, some thoughtful and quite original presents, a few cards. All -in-all how I like to celebrate birthdays really. Though I’m happy to attend big parties I generally don’t like to be the host or subject of one.

Birthdays are always a good time to stop and take stock. So where do I find myself?

Unmarried, but in the second year of a stable relationship.

‘Plodding’ away in a good job, however one that I’m still trying to figure out.

Not owning my own home, but quite happily renting one in these turbulent economic times.
With few savings, but comparatively little debt.

In close and stable contact with most of my friends and family, yet surprisingly lonesome all-to-often.

Having travelled to 23 countries, yet wishing to travel to many more.

However much things depress me, frustrate me, annoy me and perplex me at times. I sit back and consider… Well, things, could be a lot worse…

2 comments:

Colin said...

It's natural when you get THAT OLD to reminisce on where you've come from ;) :D

Ok ok, but I'm pretty sure I have a contract back here somewhere that says I *have* to take the piss out of people older than me ;)

I suspect you think that like I do - "It could be worse" - I think of that as a positive. It's been pointed out to me before that some people use it as a negative. "You've got no reason to complain! There are children starving in Ethopia!" etc. etc.

I think people hit that point in their lives where they're stable in their mental age for a long time. That's a wonderful thing. I've seen old people who feel young, and young people who feel old. I can't be doing with that. Life's too short to mope about expecting to be dead before long.

You've still got more than half your life ahead of you. Realistically, you're probably, what, a third through it?

I don't think you need to start worrying about feeling your age until you're another third through it.

Ok, lol, I have to go... I think my dinner is ready! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!

I have those sort of worries all the time and it scares me a teeny bit that even when you get all the wonderful things you think you want (the lack of debt would be amazing!) that its still unsettling.

I think we have a media image of what we should be doing rammed down our throats and the fact of the matter is its just not like that.

I'm coming to realise that its just a case of enjoying the little moments and if theres something that doesn't make you happy and you can change it - do.

Bx

P.S. - Wagamama is an excellent birthday dinner choice! Next time you go, if you're not driving I highly recommend you try the plum wine on the menu. Its fantastic!